Wednesday, January 9, 2008

A Candy Holder for Valentines Day



Looking for an easy item to make for Valentines Day (or any day). This is a cute little candy holder. I did not create the idea of the candy holder, I received one in a swap and hung on to it. I pulled it out the other day and thought it would make a nice valentine holder so I made one. I adjusted the measurements so I could use my scor-pal (which made it very easy and quick to make). Since so many of my friends loved this, I decided to put together a quick tutorial to show you how to make it.

First things first. The supply list:



1 piece of cardstock for the frame measuring 4 1/4 x 10 inches
1 piece of designer paper for mat (if desired)
1 piece of white cardstock for stamping (if desired)
Markers
Inkpad
Cutter
Scor-pal or scoring tool
Adhesive
Stamps
Embellishments (I used ribbon, stickles, dimensionals, glue dots, etc)
Scissors
Candy piece

Using your paper trimmer, cut cardstock to measure 4 1/4" x 10 "



Take your piece of cardstock that you are going to use as the frame and score-it at 3", 3 1/2", 6 1/2" , and 7". I used a scor-pal but you can use any scoring tool you have. The scor-pal does make it easier since you don't have to move the paper.



I used an ink that is the same color as the cardstock to stamp a background. I used SU Pretty in Pink for both the cardstock frame and background ink. I stamped on the middle of the inside of the frame (where the chocolate will be placed) and the bottom fold of the front (that will fold up and cover the chocolate).



Next take your scallop punch (or another punch you would like to use) and punch out the center of the last frame in your cardstock (this will fold up over your candy).



This is what it looks like after it is punched.



Next take you piece of white cardstock and stamp your main image. I choose the "friend" sentiment from the SU Time Well Spent Set. It is a level 3 hostess set. Demo's received this set for free. When I first received it I thought, "oh, this is o.k." but really didn't think it was my style. Having said that I have used it over and over and love the sentiments that come with it.

Once stamped, color if necessary (I used my pretty in pink marker to color in FRIENDS). Cut to desired size.



I then added some ribbon as an embellishment.




Mat your image to a piece of designer paper. I choose Basic Grey Designer Paper from their Perhaps Line.



Take some left over designer paper and stamp (in black ink) a coordinating image.



Carefully cut out the image



I used a dimensional to attach the image to the main image. It makes the image pop-up (a nice touch). Here is the front of the project put together.



Finally add the candy with a glue dot



I also added some stickles to the front of the project (I used pink)(



Here is the finished project. I made a ton and will post other versions the rest of this week.



Why don't you make one and let me know how it turns out. I hope you enjoyed my first tutorial.

2 comments:

Smriti said...

Wonderful tutorial!

Michelle said...

Diane,

I am a tutorial junky. I absolutely love this one - thanks so much for sharing.

Isn't it funny, I found your tutorial in my daily email and it was posted over at Stampin When I can :)