Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Answers to Some of your PEZ Questions...

Here are answers to the PEZ questions asked in the comments as well as answers to questions you didn't ask but I thought you would find interesting:

Q. Of all the PEZ dispensers you have, which is your favorite?
A. While this answer will change from time to time, my current favorites are the 80th Anniversary Mickey and Minnie Mouse I bought at convention. They are only sold in Europe and will not (as far as I know) be released in the U.S. I am also happy to have bought the space gun at this years convention. My mom always gets me the annual PEZ Christmas ornaments as well. 2007 is the 80th Anniversary of PEZ!

My mom’s favorite is the Breast Cancer PEZ we bought last year at convention.

Q. Who is Shawn Peterson?
A. Shawn is a PEZ collector and author of many books on PEZ

Q. I was wondering how many different flavors of pez candy there are....
A. The flavors in the U.S. and other countries differ. In the U.S. there are currently 11 flavors including two new flavors (Cherry & Raspberry). Besides Cherry and Raspberry you can find Orange, Grape, Lemon, Strawberry, Cola, Sour Green Apple, Sour Pineapple, Sour Blue Raspberry and Sour Watermelon.

At one time Cherry was discontinued because PEZ didn’t think children would like candy that is the same flavor as cough medicine.

The dispensers are manufactured and imported from Hungary, China, and Slovenia. The candy is produced and packaged with the dispensers at the plant in Orange, Connecticut facilities.

Q. I do have a question about the gun you showed. Is this hard to find? Do you have to go to a convention like this to find one?
A. We bought the space gun this year at convention and last year we bought the smaller orange gun. They are found easily at convention and I am sure you can find them on Ebay. They are from the 70’s and 80’s so they only way you can get one is from someone who has one to sell. They have older guns from the 50’s that we saw at convention that we would have loved to buy but they were going for $300-$400 which was way out of our price range.

Q. Do you have a batman pez? and do you have the one with the cape?
A. We have several Batman Pez but not the one with the Cape which runs about $75-$120.

Q. My question is if the candy itself has improved over the past 35 yrs?
A. I don't know if they changed the recipe over the years but it’s basically flavored sugar. I have massive amounts of the candy but I don’t eat the candy myself.

Q. Which Pez is Kerry's most valuable?
A. The guns go for $25-$35. I have some PEZ without feet that go for about $40-$60 each.

Q. What PEZ does your daughter want, but can not find?
A. Usually, it’s not a matter of not being able to find it, it’s a matter of not being able to afford it. The prices on some are pretty high. For example the guns from the 1950’s go for hundreds of dollars. I can usually find things I am looking for at convention.

My mom tells anyone she knows traveling to other countries to be on the lookout for PEZ. PEZ in other countries are different than those released here in the U.S. For example, the INCREDIBLES Pez dispensers in the U.S. all had masks on and in Europe they didn’t. I would like to get the European version of the INCREDIBLES but haven’t found those yet.

Q. Why did she start collecting PEZ and at what age?
A. I started collecting PEZ when I was 8 or 9. When I bought one once, my mother mentioned that people collect them and I thought it was a good idea. At first I just collected what I found in local stores. We always buy complete sets as soon as they come out. For example, when the Shrek 3 dispensers came out recently we made sure we had all four characters in the set.

Q. How do you display your PEZ collection?
A. I actually purchased, on ebay, special stands designed specifically to display PEZ. I have two stands that hold about 80 PEZ each so I have about 160 on a dresser in my room along with some of the GIANT PEZ dispensers. My collection is well over 700 Dispensers and the majority of the collection is in tubs in my closet. Honestly, I stopped counting I have so many. We would need an addition on our house to display all the PEZ I have. I not only collect PEZ but PEZ related items. I have PEZ Games, PEZ Pins, PEZ signs, PEZ jewelry, etc. I have recently been asked to display my collection in our local library and am considering doing that.

Q. My question is, do you know if they have Care Bear PEZ dispensers? Those would be way cool.
A. No , ther are no Care Bear PEZ dispensers. I would love to see one since Care Bear is one of my nicknames since I was a baby.

Q. What does a PEZ taste like? Is it a candy or a gum? Are all PEZ the same...meaning a hard candy or gum with just diff. flavours?
A. They are hard pieces of flavored sugar





Questions not asked but thought you would want to know….

Q. What do they call the president of PEZ?
A. The Pezident

Q. What does PEZ stand for?
A. PEZ comes from the first, middle, and last letters of the German word for peppermint, pfefferminz.

P E Z

Q. Who invented PEZ?
A. PEZ was invented by Eduard Haas III.

Q. How long has PEZ been around?A. PEZ candy was created in 1927 in Vienna, Austria. The PEZ dispenser was
invented in 1948. PEZ candies and dispensers have been marketed in Americasince 1952.


A. Is PEZ Candy good for you?
Q. While I have massive amounts of PEZ candy (in my many unopened packages), I do not eat the candy.

The nutritional info is:
Serving size: 1 roll (9 g)
Calories: 35
% Daily Values per Serving (based on a 2,000 calorie diet):
Total Fat (0 g): 0%
Sodium (0 mg): 0%
Total Carbohydrates (9 g): 3%
Sugars 9 g
Protein: 0 g

The sugar-free candy has the following nutritional info:
Serving size: 1 roll (8 g)
Calories: 30
% Daily Values per Serving (based on a 2,000 calorie diet):
Total Fat (0 g): 0%
Sodium (0 mg): 0%
Total Carbohydrates (9 g): 3%
Sugars 0 g
Sorbitol 8 g
Protein (0 g): 0%
Vitamin C: 35%

2 comments:

dawnmercedes said...

Thanks for the answers to all our PEZ questions!

tyrymom29 said...

WOW you know so much about PEZ you are a true collector ......THANK YOU for answering all our questions ......